How we’re already done with June and now in July is beyond me, but here we are! I feel like I’ve really fallen behind with staying up to date with people’s blogs so I want to try harder at that this month. While June was certainly a mixed bag of events, July always promises good things. It’s my birthday month, a month usually filled with sunshine and usually a time of the year when people are feeling more optimistic and relaxed as that holiday vibe settles on a lot of us, especially for those of you who either have holidays planned or those of you who are finished with school, college and university and have some time stretching ahead of you now for some fun.
Here’s hoping July provides that source of fun for all of us, and without further ado here are my joyful moments for June.
1. This Sign
I pass this sign on the way into town almost daily and the colours on it always make me smile, so at the beginning of the month I finally got a photo of it, and on the perfect day too when the sun was shining just right to light up all of the colours perfectly.
2. An Afternoon By The River
Sometimes you find hidden places that just make you feel nice and relaxed and this view of the Derwent down near the village of Broughton is a very good example. It was stunningly hot on that day and there were sheep grazing alongside the water’s edge, and all you could hear was the water and the sound of them baaing away.
Mum has been steadily growing all different types of plants and I loved the way the sunlight had created these criss-cross patterns as it poured through the blinds the other afternoon. It just looked so pretty, and these malvia are doing exceptionally well in the sunlight too. My Mum’s got a bit of a gardener’s’ gift I think.
4. Noticing The Little Things
Often when I’m out something will catch my eye and I’ll need to get my camera out, and these sun-kissed steps while I was out near Whitehaven ticked that box. It was another very hot day, and I just loved the way the steps looked in the sunshine, with the highlights and the shadows and the few leaves resting on them, it just made me feel calm. The shade covered trees in my featured image for this post were taken on the same day.
Does anyone else get these moments while out with their camera at all?
5. This Sunset
I managed to catch this sunset the other night and was not disappointed. If you follow me on Twitter you will have seen me sharing these photos, but this one is my favourite, and this isn’t edited at all, those really were the colours in the sky that night.
A Few Other Things I’ve Been Loving:
- Under the influence: RuPaul’s Drag Race winner Sharon Needles. This youtube video from the BFI’s channel features the incredibly interesting and always brilliant Sharon Needles talking about her favourite horror films, and the importance of them for her. I love film in general and I always enjoy listening to people talk about their favourite films, and why they matter to them, especially when it’s horror related, so if you’re into drag queen’s, horror and film – you might like this.
- Doctor Who. Or more precisely Peter Capaldi as the Doctor. I always used to think that Matt Smith’s iteration was my favourite out of all of the Doctor’s so far (though t be completely honest it’s so hard to pick a favourite) but there’s something about Peter’s incarnation that I think will be hard to beat. So when he does regenerate I am going to miss him terribly. I’ve also thought this series’ dynamic between Bill, Nardole and The Doctor has just been amazing, and I kind of don’t want them to go.
- All The Rage by Courtney Summers. This is a book in a very similar vein to Asking For It, except it deals with the concepts from a very different perspective. If you like thrillers, murder mystery style narratives and angst, then you’ll like this, but what I think the author did so well throughout was bring some of the most raw and rough feelings to the surface. Some of what the protagonist goes through reminded me of some of the ideas that came out of Fight Club, and it really hit me hard in a way I can’t really put into words, it just gets to you, or it got to me at least. It’s one of those books that, like Asking For It, will be with me for a good while and I definitely felt for the main character. Highly recommended.
- NoMBe – Do Whatchu Want To Me. I LOVE this song. I’m so glad I stumbled upon this artist the other day as this song has been on repeat for the past few days or so, and has to be one of my favorites of the month. The music video too is nice and summery, and it’s one of those chill songs you can just put on and lose yourself in. Love it, and it’s well worth checking out the rest of NoMBe’s stuff too because he’s good. One to watch.
As always let me know what you loved throughout June and if you have any recommendations for me too, and I hope you’ve all had a sun filled month and are looking forward to an equally sunny July.
Hope you all had a good weekend and have a great start to the week too!