As I am not taking part in Project 365 this year I wanted to replace the once monthly round-up posts I featured on my previous blog last year, with something similar. So each month, I’ll be sharing a short list of the things that have been making me smile, from the big to the small, in an attempt to check off one of my goals for 2017; more fun and more happiness! I also think it’s more important than ever at the moment to champion the good things, no matter how small, and not to give up on chasing hope and happiness.
So, without further ado, here are my Happy Moments for January!
1. My New Diary
This was a Christmas present from one of my best friends, Megan, who is always so good at picking out gifts for me. This little diary is quintessentially me, I believe. It’s one of my favourite colours, covered in beautiful illustrations and has a gorgeous poem from one of my favourite poets of all time, Byron, on the back. It’s definitely making planning for the months ahead, much more relaxing.
2. Sunshine Induced Siestas
It’s still fairly cold and breezy here in Cumbria, but the recent spate of winter sun has meant that afternoon siestas have been accompanied by birdsong and amazing light shadows on my ceiling as I nod off. They’re only short naps, but I always wake feeling energised, and there’s nothing nicer than waking to my curtains gently blowing in the breeze with blue sky behind them.
3. Sunsets & Sunrises
You know me, I blog about them more than anything else, but if opening my windows to scenes like the ones above aren’t the nicest thing, I don’t want to be right. You could definitely put me into the category of a sun worshipper, I just love waking up to bright, blue skies and those golden rays pouring through my curtains. It’s medicine for the soul.
4. My Little Nudibranch
This was one of the little gifts I got for Christmas from my grandparents, who very kindly gave me some money, and as soon as I spotted this adorable polymer clay nudibranch, I knew I had to get it. This is Ceratosoma amoenum or a clown nudibranch, my favourite of all the nudibranch species! It came all the way from Malaysia from a very talented Etsy seller called Mori Loves Marine, and there are plenty of other nudibranchs and other marine creatures on their Etsy sight, if you’d like one of your own!
5. The First Daffodils of the Year
My Mum got these from the local shop as already batches of daffodils are appearing, and while it’s a little too early for our native ones to be springing up (though I have seen a few bulbs having poked through the ground already!) having these yellow flowers on my table fills me with the promise of spring, my favourite season, and I’m more than thankful for these bright, yellow blooms, so I can’t complain.
A Few Other Things I’ve Been Loving:
- The Crimson Wing Soundtrack. If you haven’t seen the film, it’s all about the flamingos of Lake Natron in Tanzania, it’s a stunning documentary and the soundtrack is breathtaking, so I’ve had it on repeat this week. Life of the Bird and Soda are two of my favourite tracks.
- The Mighty Boosh. I mentioned this earlier in the week, but when you’re feeling low nothing compares to this series. It’s whimsical, mad and genius. Call of the Yeti, The Legend of Old Gregg and The Nightmare of Milky Joe are my favourite episodes, all from the second series, but go and watch all three series, because it’s genius!
- A Series of Unfortunate Events. I am now more than halfway through The Grim Grotto and I am nearing the end, and I have been loving this entire series. The books were sent to me by the lovely Kerri and I got to watch the Netflix adaptation thanks to the kindness of Danielle, so I am eagerly finishing the books off before the series jumps any further, and it’s been just the kind of escapism I needed!
- A piece of architecture that’s been inspiring me recently is the stunning Nasir al-Mulk, or the Pink Mosque in Shiraz, Iran – a place I desperately want to visit! This article shares some stunning photos of the building, where the glass windows send the room into a kaleidoscope of colours.
These are the little things that have been making me smile this month, and I’d love to know what’s been making you happy throughout January too, and if you have any recommendations for me for books, films, music or TV programmes let me know as well!
I’m taking a very brief blogging break over the next week as I’m going to be very busy, but I will be returning to the blog around the 13th of February, with a new arts and crafts based post!
In the meantime, look after yourselves, keep making your voices heard and remember to enjoy the little things.